Emissions & Waste Management
- Thirty-three flagship properties managed by the Group have been reviewed and assessed with respect to the internationally recognised ISO 14001 Environmental Management System.
- The Group has registered a 17.45% accumulated reduction in carbon emissions (from the 2012 level) from the common areas under our management.
- We have pledged to halve single-use plastic consumption across the board by 2022 (from the 2017 level). One concrete step includes installation of reverse vending machines at our malls, with more than 84,000 plastic bottles collected so far. The introduction of 100 smart water filtering stations in our hotels in Hong Kong has saved 519,837 plastic water bottles, while all F&B outlets have banned plastic drinking straws and stirring rods, with eco-friendly alternatives provided upon request.
- In addition to food waste decomposers at tmtplaza, Citywalk and Olympian City 2, Sino Hotels supports O · PARK1, Hong Kong’s first Organic Resources Recovery Centre at Siu Ho Wan, with food waste converted into compost/biogas.
- The Group’s partnerships with arborists and community partners have seen 43 cubic metres of wood upcycled from 190 felled trees collected from construction sites and properties under our management.
|Non-hazardous Waste Disposal|
|Volunteer Service Hours|
- Highlights of our efforts to improve our operations’ energy efficiency include the implementation of a Power Quality Monitoring System, which enables real-time monitoring of power usage across all buildings; our involvement in the CLP’s Peak Demand Management Programme, which saw 56 properties managed by the Group implement energy-saving measures during peak power demand periods; and retrofitting four escalators and 73 lifts since 2015, which enhanced energy efficiency by 20%, resulting in an annual electricity saving of 597,800 kWh, the equivalent of planting 18,194 trees every year.
- Twenty-one of the Group’s existing projects and projects under construction have received green certification, with an aggregate floor area of approximately seven million sq. ft. Three existing buildings, namely Hong Kong Pacific Centre, Tsim Sha Tsui Centre and Empire Centre, were awarded Platinum Rating under BEAM Plus Existing Buildings.
- We have installed more than 1,800 photovoltaic panels in our managed properties in Hong Kong, generating a total rated power of close to 600 kW. We have also developed an Integrated Renewable Energy Platform to monitor the real-time performance of these panels, from which we can assess and improve performance efficiency.
- The Group has raised its first Green Loan, Sino Land Green Loan 2018, in the amount of HK$2 billion, which has been fully allocated to St. George’s Mansions, our new residential project located at 24A Kadoorie Avenue.
- In Singapore, the Group owns and operates seven buildings in The Fullerton Heritage property. With the aim of reducing carbon footprints, the Fullerton Green Team regularly monitors energy savings, while sustainability initiatives include introducing water dispensers, switching products and packaging to more eco-friendly alternatives, and introducing plant-based options to our restaurants.