The Spirit of Hong Kong Awards came to life to pay tribute to these unsung heroes, whose quiet work has made Hong Kong a better and kinder place.
Since 2013, the Group has jointly presented the Spirit of Hong Kong Awards with the South China Morning Post to shine a light on these wonderful individuals, celebrating their community spirit and selfless dedication while inspiring many others.
- Rehabaid Society CEO Cecilia Lam received the Spirit of Community Award for her work in changing the way the city views rehabilitation and support services.
- University of Hong Kong Professor Stephen Chu received the Spirit of Culture Award for his work in recording and preserving Canto-pop lyrics and promoting them as pop culture history.
- Codex Genetics founders Aldrin Yim and Allen Yu received the Spirit of Innovation Award for the development of a faster method of genetic screening. (Read more about their story in Genetic Breakthrough Brings Hope.)
- Chairman of the Hong Kong Federation of the Blind Tang Kwong Po received the Spirit of Perseverance Award for overcoming his own challenges with blindness and going on to help other vision-impaired people.
- Students Alex Yu, Cissy Lu, Dickson Yau, Francisca Lam and Sana Khullar received the Spirit of Youth Award for their efforts in making English learning more accessible to less-privileged children.
- The Super Golden Age volunteer team received the Spirit of Teamwork Award (Group) for their work in providing food to needy senior citizens.
- Fung Heung Lan received the Lion Rock People’s Choice Award for her traditional fish-farming work and for helping to preserve the city’s ponds.
In addition, more than 40 current and past winners of the Spirit of Hong Kong Awards received recognition at a Ng Teng Fong Charitable Foundation presentation ceremony held in September 2019, alongside 50 non-governmental organisations and social enterprises, in further tribute to their staunch support to the community.
The Awards are once again set to recognise these everyday heroes in 2020. We look forward to sharing their stories.